TAXLOTS



Add Taxlot

Title Property Type Description
0-Wharf
0-Wall

The illustration above is from the 19th Century, and posits how the finished wall may have appeared.

In 1653 Petrus Stuyvesant as Director General and the Council of New Amsterdam proposed the building of a wall to protect the community, "in order to repulse a sudden attack".    In the minutes of their meeting, they required that members of the community participate including the Director General and the council, the mayors and schepens, the merchants, the free Africans, slaves and citizens.      The work was expected to take 3 weeks, and during that time, no ships or barks (boats) were permitted to leave so that as many people as possible could participate.

See pages 69-70 of the Council Minutes from 1952-1654 for a detailed description:  https://www.newnetherlandinstitute.org/files/3414/0152/0685/Volume_V_-_Council_Minutes_1652-1654.pdf

Much research on the wall has been done at the NYC Municipal Archives:  https://newamsterdamstories.archives.nyc/blog/the-dutch-the-english-and-the-wall-that-divided-them

And the New Netherland Institute:   https://www.newnetherlandinstitute.org/history-and-heritage/additional-resources/dutch-treats/putting-the-wall-on-wall-street/

According to the minutes dated 17 March 1653, initial plans called for palisades 12 feet long, 18 inches in circumference, and sharpened at  top.    This wall was planned to create a line that stretched  across the island. 

See Stokes Vol. 4, p. 138  for Mar. 15 for more info on building the wall. Source materials for Stokes begins with Fernow, Records of New Amsterdam, Vol. 1, Court minutes of New Amsterdam,  beginning on p. 69 and shows a sketch on p. 72 showing posts 9 feet above ground.   

Although the note from the note below only mentions the Africans, it does describe the process, and we now know that the Council called for teams of people to work together with representation from the entire society.

"When the Africans finished the trench, they formed a wall by standing big logs into it. Each log was 18 inches around and 12 feet long. Then they pounded dirt and stones back into the trench around the base of each log to make the wall strong. They built blockhouses at the ends of the wall, and gates were added where roads ran through it. " 

For more information on slavery in New Netherland, please see Andrea Mosterman’s digital exhibit for the New Netherland Institute:  https://www.newnetherlandinstitute.org/history-and-heritage/digital-exhibitions/slavery-exhibit/

0-Windmill
0-Fort - Fort Amsterdam

Construction on Fort Amsterdam was begun in 1625 and the fort was finally torn down in 1790 following the American Revolution.   The building was constructed of timber.   The architect, Inigo Jones had originally designed a masonry structure, but the Dutch West India Company determined that a masonry fort would have been too expensive.

0-Barracks

Soldiers of the DWIC were housed in the Barrack building.

0-Gallows

The Gallows were used for hangings. 


The depiction above is from the H. Stossel painting at the Southstreet Seaport Museum.
http://www.seany.org/
 

0-Church in the Fort Church

Church in the fort.

A1 Tavern

This property was originally a house, but became a 'public house' or tavern under Lodowyck Pos.   Stokes, Vol II.

A2 House
A3 Tavern

This was both a house and a tavern.   The original structure burned to the ground and Marten rebuilt it and was operating a tavern by 1647.  Stokes.
 

A4 House
A5 House
A6 House

Small house.  Stokes.

A7 House
A8 Land
A9
A10 House

Pieter Sinkham, a tailor, was a tenant here in 1660.   The property was owned by Peter Stuyvesant.  Stokes describes this as a "little house".
 

A11 Tavern

An 'Inn of questionable character'.  Stokes

A12 House
A12A Houses - Attached

"At the Belle Videre where Do Drijsij houses stand, there are 4 houses" - De Sille List of 1660 - Stokes.

A13 House
A14 House
A15 House

House, garden, and orchard.  Stokes.
Please read the Stokes page for a description of the Company's Garden on Heere Street.

A16 House

House and garden.  Stokes.

A17 House
A18 House
Beyond-the-Wall1 House

Small House.

Beyond-the-Wall10 Garden - Formal

What was once a formal garden is now part of Trinity Church Yard.  Stokes.
 

Beyond-the-Wall2 House

1659-02-19

Beyond-the-Wall3 Land

Maize Land. Stokes.

Beyond-the-Wall4 Land

Maize Land. Stokes.

Beyond-the-Wall5 House
Beyond-the-Wall6 House
Beyond-the-Wall7 House
Beyond-the-Wall8 House
Beyond-the-Wall9 House

Was owned by Marinus Adriaensen  (Maryn Adriaensen)     Bio info is available for him in Stokes.   Requires further research.
 

B1 House

This house was originally built by a wealthy merchant.

B2 Orchard

This property is an orchard.  

B3 House
B4A House
B4B House
B5A House
B5B House
B6 House

'House and Lot by the Land Gate' Stokes.

B7 House

A wheelwright purchased this lot in 1661.   A house was built on the lot,
but the wheelwright lived elsewhere.    

The measurements of this house in the model are currently:

13' Wide x 25' Deep x 10' Tall.

This is an approximation, as the house has not yet been modeled in detail.

 

B8 House
B9 House, Brewery

House and Brewhouse. Stokes.

B9 House, Brewery

House and Brewhouse. Stokes.

B10 School

This was the Latin School.

C1 House

Substantial buildings including a cooperage and homestead. Stokes.

C2 House
C3 Tavern
C4 Tavern

Possibly both a house and a tavern.  Stokes is a bit unclear.  TD. 2009-10-04

C5 House
C6 House
C7 House

Original Patent of Isaac Allerton and Govert Loockermans for 2 lots of land on Manhattan Island 
1643-02-06

http://digitalcollections.archives.nysed.gov/index.php/Detail/Object/Show/object_id/51159
 

C8 House
C9 House
C10 House

House owned by Samuel Edsall but rented to Jan Fries. Stokes.

C11 House
C12 House
C13 House

This was the 'southerly house' mentioned in Stokes description.   Although this house belonged to Pieter Rudolphus in 1660, his residence was on Prince Gracht  (C34).  Stokes.

At one time this house belonged to Cosyn Gerritsen van Putten, the main wheelwright for the colony, so it may have had a wheelwright's workshop at one time.

C14 House

This is described as the 'northerly house' in Stokes.

C15 Boarding House
C16 School

In a part of this house school was kept here by Harmanus van Hoboocken before his own house at L10 was built.

C17 House
C18 House

C 18 and 18A = "1 large new and 1 small decayed old house"   It appears that #18 was the new house and 18A the old house.  Stokes.

Schulyer, who owned this property lived in Albany.

C18A House

Small, old decayed house.

Schulyer lived in Albany.

C19 House
C19A House
C19B House
C20 House
C21

Stokes description of this property is unclear as to function or property type.   Review by Scholarly committee or more information necessary, especially as Red Lion Brewery is listed elsewhere.  TD 11-2-09

C22 Poorhouse

The Deaconry of New Amsterdam purchased this property from Paulus van der Beeck.   Most probably, it was the first poorhouse.  Stokes.

C23 House
C23A House
C24 House

Little house/cottage. Stokes.

C25 House
C26 House
C27 House

Purchased on speculation.  Stokes.

C28 House
C29
C30 House
C31 House
C32 House

Modest cottage. Stokes

C33 House
C34 House

'...low, wide, house, with a wing...covered the entire frontage of the street, about 30 feet....'  Stokes.

C35 House
C36 House
D1 House
D2 House
D2A House
D3 House
D4 House

House and outbuilding.

D5 Tavern

The Wooden Horse Tavern. Stokes

D6 Tavern

House of Maria Polet, widow of Philip Geraerdy.....she kept a tavern here....   Stokes.   It is not clear from Stokes if this house was a house, or both a house and a part of the Wooden Horse Tavern at D5.  For the sake of the model, we will assume that it is a house, where perhaps she took on overflow customers from the Wooden Horse next door.    Maria is not listed in the Holland Society's original list of ancestors and so it is not possible to associate her with this house.   This is a functionality that must revised in future iterations.    TD 11-04-09

D7 House

Ebbingh is described as a 'wealthy merchant', so the house might reflect that.
 

D8 Houses - Attached

D8 and D9 were double attached houses, made of brick.

D9 Houses - Attached

D8 and D9 were double attached houses made of brick.

D10 Brewery

The brewery was a large building.  '.....occupying 3 sides of the quadrangle...'   A well is also mentioned.  See Stokes D10.

D10A House

This was the residence of Oloff Stevensen van Cortlandt and part of the compound including the very large brewery, a well, possibly outbuildings, and 2 other houses.   Stokes 10-10A-10B-10C.

D10B House

This house was part of the compound that included the large brewery,  Olaf Stevensen Van Cortlandt's residence and another house.

D10C House

This house was part of the compound containing the large brewery, Olaf Stevensen Van Cortlandt's residence, and another house.

D11 House

Since Abraham de la Noy is listed as an innkeeper, it is possible that this house was also used as an inn.   Stokes is not clear about this. TD 11-05-09

D12 House

...large house with ornamental dormers...Stokes.

D13 House

cottage

D14 House

A cottage rented to a young shoemaker and his wife. Stokes.

D15 House

Cottage.

D16 House

Little house.

D17 House
D18 House
D19 House

This was 2 small houses until purchased by David Wessels who demolished the small cooper's house.

D20 House
D21 House

This was a house and lot rented to Meindert Barentsen 1,660,016 by Bout.   Original deed at New York Historical Society.

D22 House

House and double lot.

E1 House
E2 House
E2A House
E3 House
E4A House

...pretentious...double gable to the street....Stokes

E5 House
E6 Houses - Attached

5 houses of the Company....Stokes

These were attached houses owned by the DWIC, and used to house the company's servants as well as goods and merchandise.
"Jacob Hendricks, "the barber' (i.e. Varrenvanger), is stated to have been living in the Company's house."  Stokes
 

E7 House

This property later became a school house.

E8 House
E9 House
E10 House
E11 House
E12 House
E13 House
E14 House
E15 House
E16 Shop

...In his shop...he dealt as a mercer, selling silks, linens, galloon, lace, stockings and buttons.... Stokes.

E17 House
E18 House
E19 House
E20 House
E21 House

Jacob Hendricksen and Jacob Stryker, Jr. shared a half interest in this property in the year 1660.

E22 House

small house

E23 Hospital

became The Gasthuys (Hospital)

E24 Hospital

became The Gasthuys (Hospital)

F1 House

This was the residence of Dr. Kierstede.

F2 House
F3 House
F4 Great House

....Cornelis Steenwyck....His elaborate dwelling house....Stokes

The measurements of this house in the model are currently:

19'3" Wide  x  45'11"  Deep  x  11'10" Tall.

This is an approximation, as the house has not yet been modeled in detail.


 

F5 Warehouse

Paulus Leendersen built this tall warehouse in 1650.

F6 Warehouse

Pack House of the DWIC.

F7 Warehouse

This warehouse is described as a 3 story building in Stokes.

F8 Great House

...his extensive dwelling here was referred to as "van Tienhoven's Great House."....

F9 Great House

This lot was also part of ..."van Tienhoven's Great House"...Stokes.

F10 House

In 1656 Isaac De Forest built a house on the grounds of the old church which is described as "which was an ornament to the City."   Stokes

F11 Tavern

This is described as a small house and a tavern in Stokes.

F12 House

Small house.

F13 House
F14 Shop

Baker's shop. Stokes

F15 House
F15A House
F16 Tavern

Tavern, granted permission to tap in 1656.

G1 House

"...a pretty cottage, which, in 1660, belonged to Annetje Jans Bogardus, then living at Albany....A splendid tree shaded the cottage--shaded, too, the smaller house at the rear belonging to Trijin Jonas, the midwife......."Stokes

Both Annetje and Trijin are not listed as Ancestors under the current configuration of the model.  This points to the issue of assigning ownership of these lots to Spouses and/or developing a list of Female Ancestors vs. Male Ancestors in the next phase of the project.  TD -11-12-09

G2 House

--a fair sized house, with a stable in the rear, and a trim garden with fruit trees....Stokes

G3 House
G3 House
G4 Tavern

tavern, was a maritime building, many seafaring men frequented it.

G5 Land

...house...an old one...had probably fallen into complete decay.   The Plan shows that it was demolished before July, 1660...Stokes

G6 House
G7 House
G8 House
G9 House
G10 House
G11 House
H1 House
H2 House

No. 2 and 2A   -   Jan Evertsen Bout is said to have lived here.   He owned a much better house in Block D (No. 21), but he lived at Breuckelen the greater part of the time.  His domicile in New Amsterdam seems to have been for business purposes.....Stokes.

H2A House

No. 2 and 2A - Jan Evertsen Bout is said to have lived here. He owned a much better house in Block D (No. 21), but he lived at Breuckelen the greater part of the time. His domicile in New Amsterdam seems to have been for business purposes.....Stokes.

H3 House
H4 House
H5 House
J1 Great House

.....Stuyvesant's house was probably built of stone.....Stokes J1

J2 House
J3 House
J4 House
J5 House
J6 House
J7 House
J9 House
J9A House
J10 House
J11 House
J12 House
J13 House
J14 Tavern
J15 Warehouse
K1 House

House and orchard.

K2 House
K2 House
K3 House
K4 House

little house

K5 House
K6 House
K7 House

THis property belonged to Janneken Bonus.  She was a widow with children.  See Stokes.   Janneken is not listed under the list of ancestors.  In Phase II she must be included.  TD.

K8 House
L1 Garden
L2 House

little cottage

L3 Brewery

Red Lion Brewery

L4 House
L5 House
L6 House
L7 House
L8 House
L9 House

Little house.

L10 School

The "trivial school" of Harmanus van Hobocken

The measurements of this house in the model are currently:

12.5' Wide  x  22'  Deep  x  10' 4" Tall.

This is an approximation, as the house has not yet been modeled in detail.


 

L11 House
L12 House

In 1660 this house was the scene of a double wedding as both of Nicassius' daughters were wed here.

M1 Houses - Attached

6 houses were built on this lot by Adriaen Vincent.

M2 House

Although Thomas Davidts owned this property, he was often in Albany, and the house was occupied by Foppe Robberts.

M3 House
M4 House
M5 House

M5 and M6 are 2 small dwellings.

M6 House
M7 Tavern

Tavern where brawls often took place.

M8 House
M9 House
M10 House

DWIC owned this property.  It was the 'house of the company's negroes' as listed in Stokes.

M11 House

...mean little house...Stokes

M12 House

This was the house of a master glazier known for creating stained glass windows.

M13 House

little house

M14 House
M15 House
M16 House
M17 Brewery

Brew house of Michael Vreeland

M18 Great House

Tax Lots M18 and 19 were owned by Rutger Jacobsen.   He built this house, after October 4, 1649 and before October 15, 1655....  "It seems to have been the finest residence on the block, with a coach-house, or possibly a small warehouse, in the rear (No. 19).  The garden was more than 150 feet deep....

M19 Warehouse

Coach house or warehouse

M20 House
M21 Smithy

(site of Burger Jorrisen’s smithy, 1655); this would have been both a smithy and a house
 

M22 House

Meindert Barentsen and his wife's mother occupied houses at M22 and M23.   See Stokes file attached for details.

M23 House

Meindert Barentsen and his wife's mother occupied houses at M22 and M23. See Stokes file attached for details.

N1 House

Pieter Wolfertsen van Couwenhoven (263) aquired this property from Govert Loockermans (151).  (Notes from the Index to the Castello Plan).


 

N2 Brewery

Home of Govert Loockermans (151), a wealthy brewer who became a major landholder in New Amsterdam.  Described in Stokes as 'house and brewhouse',  it is later described in Stokes as "the great stone brewhouse".


Measurements for this house in the model would be the equivalent of:
20' 8" X 29' 4" X 18'
 
Length X Width X Height
 

N3 House

"Claas Karstensen" of Sant, in Norway own this little house until October 1662 when he sold it to Aldert Conick.  (Stokes).
 

N4 House
N5 House

Gysbert Teunissen van Barnevelt (1660180) was listed as a farmer.  As a result, we have modeled this house as a farmer's house.  TD

Here are the dimensions used in creating the 3D model of this house:

Width (Frontage on the Street) - 15'10"
Length - 29' 8.1"
Height from finished floor to beginning of roof line - 7' 9"
Interior Height from floor to ceiling - 7'8"
Roof Height from floor level to top peak of roof - 20'4"

The measurements were researched by Len Tantillo

N6 House

Stokes describes this property as a house built by the Chimney Sweep, Pieter Andriessen Schoorsteenweger (1660156), and sold to William Herrick (1660075).

N7 Tavern

Pieter's tavern was in operation for many years, as he was listed as a tapster as early as 1648.

Measurements for this house as it is represented in the model would be the equivalent of:


15' 9.5" X 27' 5.5" x 12' 7.5"
Length X Width X Height

N8 Mill

Taxlots 8,9,and 10 were owned by Nicholas de Meyer in 1660 and included a house and a mill.  See Stokes Vol II for more details.   Lot #10 was the old stone house, the mill was at the western end, and the garden was in between according to Stokes. TD.

N9 Garden

Taxlots 8, 9, 10 were purchased by Nicholas de Meyer and contained a mill, a lot, and a stone house.  Lot #10 was the stone house and was occupied by Nicholas and his family.  According to Stokes, the western end was the mill, the house was lot #10 and the garden was in between.   See Stokes VolII for more details.  TD.

N10 House

"old stone house of van Couwenhowen", see Stokes Vol II for more details. 
 

N11 House

Tielman van Vleck (349) and his wife Maghdaleentee Herlyn (660,038)acquired this property from from Michiel Paulussen (1660134). (Notes from the Index to the Castello Plan.)

N12 Tavern

Aris Otto's tavern was described as being 'not of a very high order'.

N13 House
N14 Houses - Attached
N15 Land

This house may not have existed in 1660 or was under construction. Wessell Evertsen (1,660,063) was in the process of building the house for Assur Levy (1,660,117).   Levy  took occupancy in June 1, 1663.   (Stokes Vol II).
 

N16 House
O1 House
O2 House
O3 House

Little house likely to have been the home of Cornelis Melyen.

O4 House

It is likely that Adolph Pietersen was occupying this property in 1660 as the notes on the Index to the Catello Plan suggest that Mattheus built it for him in 1651.   However, Adolph Pietersen is not currently in our data set.  TD
 

O5 House

Small house built by poet. Poorly maintained chimney. See Stokes Vol II

O6 House
O7 House
O8

Blocks O8 and O9 are described as: de Stadt Huys

O9

Blocks O8 and O9 are described as: de Stadt Huys

P1 House
P2 Land

Stokes description is not clear about whether or not this parcel was developed by 1660.  TD

P3 Land

Stokes is not clear about whether or not this parcel was developed by 1660. TD.

P4 House

Charles Bridges acquired this property through his marriage to Sarah Cornell, but he retained only a life estate.  The property went back to the Willett Family.  (Sarah Cornell had been married to Thomas Willett.) TD - See Stokes Vol II. 

P5 House
P6 Tavern
P7 Tavern

La Chair ran an unsuccessful tavern in this house.  See Stokes Vol II for more info. TD

P8 House
P9 House

Smith, Richard (c.1596-1666) Richard Smith was born in Thornbury, Gloucestershire ca. 1596.   In 1621, he married Johan Barton and they had 5 children:  Johan 1624; Katheryne 1627; James 1629; Richard 1630; and Elizabeth 1632.  About 1635 he moved his family to Taunton in the Plymouth colony, and arrived in New Amsterdam in 1641.  During the 1640's Smith  conducted a flourishing trading business in New Amsterdam.  He owned a sloop, the Welcome, on which he carried European trade goods to his post at Cocumscussoc where he exchanged them for furs.  In 1648, Smith bought out his rival Jan Wilcox and in 1651 he purchased the trading business and adjacent property of Roger Williams.  Smith served as one of the 'Eight Men", and advisory council to the Dutch Director, Kieft.   Smith's daughter, Katheryne married Gysbert OpDyck, and his daughter Johan married Thomas Newton.  The Smith family left New Amsterdam in 1649.   Gysbert and Katheryne remained in New Amsterdam where Katheryne died about 1660.  Richard Smith died at Cosumscussoc in 1666.

Paraphrased from: Smith's Castle at Cocumscossoc: Four Centuries of Rhode Island History, Neil G. Dunay, Norma LaSalle, R.Darrell McIntire, 2003. 


Based on the above information, we have modeled the house assuming that Gysbert OpDyck and Richard Smith's daughter Katherine remain in residence during 1660.    Richard Smith was a wealthy merchant dealing in European goods and furs, and the house would have reflected his prosperous business.   


Narrative Action:  Katherine died about 1660 so we have attempted to show a funeral, or to have people stop by the house to pay respects to Gysbert OpDyck.

The measurements of this house in the model are currently:

30' 5.5" Wide  x  11.5'  Deep  x  8' Tall.


 

P10 House
P11 House

This house would have had every convenience of the time.  TD See Stokes Vol II.

P12 House
P13 House
Q1 Houses - Attached

Two small houses under one roof.  They were rented to Mathys Muller, town watchman, and Gerrit Pilser.   The houses may not have been in very good condition. 

Q2 House
Q3 House
Q4

Description of this property in Stokes is not clear.  May be a bowerie, may be a house.

Q5 House

This house had 8 small apple trees on the property.

Q6 House
Q7 House
Q8 House
Q9 House

Large House

Q9A House

Small house rented to Andries Jochemsen by Daniel Litschoe.

Q10 House

'neglected little house and lot'.

Q11 House
Q12A House
Q12B House

House rented by Claes Claesen Smith from Andries Jochemsen.    Claes allowed goats to ruin the orchard and garden.

This is one of 3 houses built by Claes Hendricksen, master carpenter.

Q12C Great House, Tavern

One of three houses built by master carpenter Claes Hendricksen.  This one was the 'Great House' that Claes lived in, and that Andries Jochemsen lived in after he purchased all three houses circa 1660.

Jochemsen, a sailmaker, also decided to open a tavern here in 1657.
 

Q12C Great House, Tavern

One of three houses built by master carpenter Claes Hendricksen.  This one was the 'Great House' that Claes lived in, and that Andries Jochemsen lived in after he purchased all three houses circa 1660.

Jochemsen, a sailmaker, also decided to open a tavern here in 1657.
 

Q13 House

This house was sold to Willem Pietersen.  We do not currently have information on him.  TD 2-18-2010
 

Q14 House

See Stokes Taxlot Q14 for a detailed account of this property.

Q15 House
Q16 House

Burger Jorisen had 3 lots.  This one was the residence, Q17 was the still, and Q18 was the smithy.  Stokes.

Q17 Still House
Q18 Smithy
Q19 House
Q20 House
Q21 House
Q22 House
Q23 Outbuilding

Small outbuilding.

Q24 Tavern
Q25 House
Q26 House
R1 Office - Factor

R1- Dwelling; R2 - Tobacco warehouse of Albert Andriessen...who established a trading post here.  He used the house as an office for his factor.

R2 Warehouse

Tobacco warehouse

R3 House

R 3 and 3A are listed as the homes of Claes van Elslant and of Andries Claessen, his son.

R3A House
R4 Carpenter's Shop

...every indication that this structure, ...was not a dwelling, but a carpenter's shop....Stokes Taxlot R4
 

R5 Tavern
R6 House
R7 House
R8 House
R9 House